- An estimated 5,000 children ages 14 and under are hospitalized due to unintentional drowning-related incidents each year; 15 percent die in the hospital and as many as 20 percent suffer severe, permanent neurological disability. National Safety Council
- Of all preschoolers who drown, 70 % are in the care of one or both parents at the time of the drowning and 75 % are missing from sight for five minutes or less. Orange County, CA, Fire Authority
- The majority of children who survive (92 percent) are discovered within two minutes following submersion, and most children who die (86 percent) are found after 10 minutes. Nearly all who require cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) die or are left with severe brain injury.
Injury Law Central urges everyone to be aware of Drowning Death situations.
The experts at El Dabe Law Firm want you to know who is likely to drown, when, and where:
- The World Health Organization estimates that there are 388,000 drowning deaths worldwide each year. In the Unites States, the latest yearly statistics from the CDC reported almost 4,000 people had died from drowning.
- Drowning is the third leading cause of accidental death in the United States. For children, it is the second leading cause of accidental death in school-age children, and the number one cause of death in preschoolers.
- More than half of drowning deaths occur in swimming pools.
- One-quarter to one-third of drowning victims have had swimming lessons.
- Children less than one year of age usually drown in bathtubs because they are not coordinated or strong enough to lift themselves out of the water.
- Children aged 1-4 most often drown in swimming pools.
- As children age, the percentage that drown in natural water such as rivers, lakes, ponds, and oceans begins to increase.
- For those older than age 15, 65% of drownings occur in natural water.
- Alcohol is a factor in up to half of adolescent and adult drowning deaths.
If your family has suffered the loss of a loved one through drowning, contact Injury Law Central immediately. The drowning authorities at the El Dabe Law Firm may find negligence on the part of another party that may assist your situation.